Thursday, April 24, 2014

Have-A-Soup-Pie Moments

Last November, I had honestly never heard of a place called Havasupai, nor had I ever been backpacking. It came up because my aunt and uncle had been there, and were thinking of going again. Since then, it has been normal for both Havasupai and backpacking to be mentioned in our day-to-day conversations. Now, after months of planning and a week full of driving, backpacking, and camping, we can say we have been there and done that. 
It was an incredible adventure. This trip was simultaneously one of the most challenging and amazing things I have ever done. With a 10-12 mile hike in to the campground, day hikes to various waterfalls, and the final hike out, we've estimated that we hiked around 40 miles.
The destination was totally worth that.
Our fellow adventurers, two of my aunts & uncles and their kids. (Don't worry, our kid stayed home for this one.)



Havasupai is basically an oasis in the middle of the desert. You start off by hiking down into a hot, dry canyon and end up in a paradise of trees, rivers, and waterfalls.
Our tent by the river
Havasu Falls

50-Foot Falls

Navajo Falls
Beaver Falls
Mooney Falls
Besides a lot of hiking, the adventures of our group included swimming, cliff jumping, cliff-side climbing, river-walking, food-stealing squirrels, sheep frogs, and lots of quality family time.
It was truly a trip to remember.
My uncle- the only one brave enough to jump.
 
 
 And now this post is too long, and I apologize for getting carried away with pictures.
(If you only knew how many I didn't post...) 
We hiked Havasupai!


1 comment: