Some of the changes have been a bit of an adjustment for us... like the change in our sleeping habits, for instance. We are all learning how to function with varying amounts of sleep.
I am personally working on the whole "sleep when he sleeps" thing...
Leaving the house also takes a bit more effort than before, but we are learning that a little fresh air is worth it and good for everyone. Plus he tends to do well in his car seat, so long as the car is moving.
Another big change for me has been my change in jobs. I went from being a part-time (and then some) teacher to an all-the-time mom. Time has been moving at a completely different pace than before, dictated by feedings and naps instead of a set work schedule. Sometimes it feels slow, and yet he already seems to be growing so fast. I am learning to define my new role and purpose, and to enjoy all the moments I get to look at this cute face.
Really, these adjustments in our day-to-day lives are minor and insignificant and in some cases, temporary. As he grows, they will be replaced by new changes, and that is the nature of life. We grow and learn and create a new sense of normal as we adapt to each change. Right now, I am creating my "new mom normal." I may not be accomplishing as many tangible things during the day or sleeping as much as I would like, but my work is full of wonder and joy and love as I watch this little one grow and develop.
Somewhere along this journey of making these changes on the surface of my life, I realized that they are indicative of a much deeper and more meaningful change. My dad once told me about what it was like when I was born and he became a parent for the first time. He said that it was hard for him and my mom to know beforehand exactly how their lives would change, but then once I was here they suddenly couldn't imagine life without me. I'm sure they felt that way each time one of my siblings came and their family changed again.
I don't think we could have anticipated how deeply this boy would change our hearts. I can't imagine going back to life without this little man. He has only been here a short while, but I feel like I will never be the same. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I am incredibly grateful that he is here- forever changing our lives.








No comments:
Post a Comment