In keeping with my goal to make wonderful moments, for the New Year I made this list:
Top Ten Favorite 2012 Moments
We had so many fun photography moments in Capitol Reef, Seattle, and just around town
The moment we heard the exhaust pipe fall out of our car...in Clinton, Utah.
Pretty much every moment in Washington: the food, the scenery, our amazing hosts
The moments I spent with my Grandpa while he made a bench for my classroom (I especially loved picking out wood with him)
The moment I found out I was rehired at my school for another year
The moments spent eating as much ethnic food as we could stomach (and that we could afford) at the Living Traditions Festival.
The moments spent enjoying more living and storage space.
Moments talking in the car with Tyler, like when we drove into the sunrise on our way home from Boise.
The moment people started showing up for my Graduation Party that I knew nothing about.
The moment I realized that there we were not picking up our nephew at the Grand America, but rather Tyler was checking us in for the night.
The moment we heard the exhaust pipe fall out of our car...in Clinton, Utah.
Pretty much every moment in Washington: the food, the scenery, our amazing hosts
The moments I spent with my Grandpa while he made a bench for my classroom (I especially loved picking out wood with him)
The moment I found out I was rehired at my school for another year
The moments spent eating as much ethnic food as we could stomach (and that we could afford) at the Living Traditions Festival.
The moments spent enjoying more living and storage space.
Moments talking in the car with Tyler, like when we drove into the sunrise on our way home from Boise.
The moment people started showing up for my Graduation Party that I knew nothing about.
The moment I realized that there we were not picking up our nephew at the Grand America, but rather Tyler was checking us in for the night.
For those who are in the mood to read my own personal reflections for 2012, feel free to keep reading. I started this tradition back in college, where I reflect on the past year by thinking about the things that I have learned. It is a fun way for me to remember my experiences and memories, however big or small. But...I realize that sometimes these lessons can be like an inside joke that only I understand...so for what it's worth, here are just a few things I learned last year.
Life's Lessons in 2012
Although I had convinced myself otherwise, without ever trying them, I actually love avocados.
Green smoothies look gross when you spill them all over the wall and floor, but they can taste really good.
Doing 2 minutes of push-ups and sit-ups is more fun with a partner, because then you can laugh at how pathetic you are the whole time.
You never know when your piano sight-reading skills are going to come in handy...like when you forgot you were accompanying for a musical number in church, or when your spouse is too sick to play for Primary.
I will be in music callings for the rest of my life.
It is possible to sell a crappy car eventually.
The more water you drink during the day, the more often you will have to visit the bathroom.
Disneyland is a whole different experience with a toddler who loves Buzz Lightyear.
Night photography is really cool, but it can take a long time.
My husband is really good at planning amazing surprises.
Unexpected car troubles can turn into fun adventures, when you learn how to laugh at them.
Some ideas found on Pinterest are good. Some are not. (i.e. Slow Cooker Thai Pork that is really just pork with peanut butter...)
Just because you are listed on the program doesn't mean there will be time for you to speak in church.
Teachers may be more excited for summer vacation than the kids.
You haven't really tasted salmon until you've tasted it in Seattle.
It doesn't always rain in the rainforest, or in Seattle for that matter.
You know that maybe you read certain blogs too much when you think you see BlueLily taking pictures on the Seattle shoreline.
In Oregon, it is against the law to pump your own gas.
When you get a new driver's license due to a name change, it is not the same thing as renewing your license and the expiration date will stay the same...thus, you may not realize that you've gone several months with an expired license.
We are prone to trying new restaurants and eating good ethnic food. (Some new favorites this year included Mazza, The Blue Nile, Cous Cous Grill, and the Living Traditions Festival...while also continuing to frequent our old friend, Taste of Punjab.)
Skype and Facetime are great ways to stay connected with people who move far away.
You can find good and giving people all over the place: in strangers at a restaurant, in anonymous donors at a school, and in sweet Kindergarten students.
Sometimes things work out exactly the way you want and with the timing you expect. But more often than not, they don't.
"The Lord's delays may seem long...but they are always calculated to bless."
-Henry B. Eyring
Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment