Friday, December 21, 2012

Moments of Singing

I love to sing.

Throughout my life, singing has allowed me to do so many things: to travel, to meet amazing friends, to express myself, to learn. Singing is also one of the biggest ways that I feel close to my Heavenly Father as I feel his Spirit and his love.
Singing in a beautiful cathedral in Southern France - one of my favorite memories.

Maybe that's one reason why I love singing at Christmastime so much. In the years when my parents were separated and eventually divorced, Christmas was one of the hardest times of the year for me. It was filled with so much negative emotion, competition, contention, and sad memories. For many years I dreaded the season, and had a difficult time enjoying it at all. Then one year in college, two things helped me to find a new perspective on Christmas, and one of those things was singing.

Love singing with my sisters. 

I feel the Spirit of Christmas so strongly when I am singing music that carries the message of the hope, light, and love that comes from our Savior, Jesus Christ. I have been able to find my own peace and joy at Christmas because of His example, and love. While singing at the University of Utah, I experienced that spirit so many times through the songs that we sang during the holiday season. Although there were many songs that strengthened my testimony of the true meaning of Christmas, I want to share one in particular that continues to stay with me:

 Carol of Joy
 Text by Eileen Berry

Green leaves all fallen, withered and dry;
Brief sunset fading, dim winter sky;
Lengthening shadows, dark closing in;
Then through the stillness, carols begin.

O fall world, to you is the song!
Death holds you fast, and night tarries long.
Jesus is born, your curse to destroy;
Sweet to your ears, a carol of joy!

Pale moon ascending, solemn and slow;
Cold barren hillside shrouded in snow.
Deep empty valley, veiled by the night:
Hear angel music, hopeful and bright.

O fearful world, to you is the song!
Peace with your God, and pardon for wrong.
Tidings for sinners, burdened and bound,
Carol of joy, a Savior is found!

Earth wrapped in sorrow, lift up your eyes!
Thrill to the chorus filling the skies.
Look up, sad hearted! Witness God's love;
Join in the carol swelling above!

O friendless world, to you is the song!
All heaven's joy to you may belong!
You who are lonely, laden, forlorn,
Now unto you a Savior is born!


It is so fun to share my love of music and singing with Tyler. We have found a lot of joy in singing together. We were really excited to hear that our new stake does an annual performance of the Messiah. It's been a couple of years since I've been in any kind of choir, and I have loved having something to sing for this Christmas. We are really looking forward to our performance this Sunday.
Singing at the Tabernacle together in 2010. Fun times.



Here's to wishing all of you love, joy, peace- and music- this Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. That's exciting that your ward does the Messiah! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete